Organs at St James'
The current organ was built in 1991 by Nicholson of Malvern.
The case is made of English oak and the display pipes are of polished zinc. The twelve stops plus Tremulant are mechanical with the two manuals and pedal board being actuated by tracker action.
- Compass: keys CC to A (58 notes) : pedals CCC to F (30 notes)
- Pressures: Pedal 85mm, Great & Swell 65mm
- Pitch: C = 523.3Hz @ 62 deg. F (A = 440Hz)
- Open Diapason 8ft display pipes polished zinc/spotted metal trebles
- Stopped Diapason 8ft stoppered wood
- Principal 4ft spotted metal
- Quint 22/3ft plain metal
- Fifteenth 2ft spotted metal
- Trumpet 8ft zinc bass/spotted metal trebles
- Gedeckt 8ft wood bass/ plain metal trebles
- Salicional 8ft spotted metal. Common bass with Gedeckt
- Unda Maris TC 8ft spotted metal
- Gemshorn 4ft spotted metal. Tapered
- Mixture IIIrks - spotted metal. 15-19-22ft
- Fagott 16ft plain metal half-length bass/spotted metal treble
- Sub Bass 16ft stoppered wood
- Flute 8ft by derivision from the Sub bass
- Choral Bass 4ft spotted metal
- Couplers (hitchdown pedals)
- Swell to Great
- Swell to Pedal
- Great to Pedal
The New Organ by Norman Taylor. From the Abinger & Coldharbour Parish News April 1991
The 1887 organ was built by Alfred Kirkland of London, restored and enlarged in 1924 and thoroughly repaired in 1937. It took the place of a chamber organ which had been preceded by a harmonium and that by a barrel organ with two barrels and ten tunes each, which was installed in 1857 when the Singers Gallery, across the west end of the church in which there were a "bass-viol, clarionet etc. for the band", was removed.
This organ was destroyed by enemy action in August 1944.