Goddards was built by Edwin Lutyens for Frederick Mirrielees in 1898-1900. Designed in his Surrey traditional style, it shows his mastery of local materials - stone, brick, roughcast and oak - and it is considered one of his most important early houses. The influence of Gertrude Jekyll and her enthusiasm for the local vernacular architecture, which she shared with Lutyens, can be strongly felt at Goddards where she planted the courtyard garden. Lutyens's commission was to build a holiday rest home for 'ladies of small means,' which would become a private charity of Mirrielees.
Altered by Lutyens in 1910 for Mirrielees' son. Owned by the Gibbs family 1927 -1953. Given to the Lutyens Trust in 1991 by the then owners Mr & Mrs MW Hall. Now owned by the Landmark Trust, available for hire.