St James' Church - Calvary

Calvary


Bronze relief of the Crucifixion on the east wall of the New Vestry (1920). Inscribed "C Diehl, Reproducteur".

Part of Mrs Waterhouse's gift of the New Vestry. Originally bought by her husband Edwin Waterhouse about 1880 in an Old Curiosity shop in the City of London. A letter from the Victoria & Albert Museum of 22.4.1937 shows it "is probably a reproduction of a relief exhibited in the Paris Salon of 1859 by Justin Mathieu (1796-1864). It was there described as 'Crucifiement. Relief en plaitre bronzé no. 3380'"