A church (perhaps of wood) may have been on the site of St James since before the Norman Conquest but the first record is found in the Domesday book
The church is named for James the Greater, the brother of John, who was killed in Jerusalem for his convictions about his brother. James had spent some time preaching on the Iberian Peninsula.
After James’ death, his disciples shipped his body to the Iberian Peninsula to be buried in what is now Santiago. Off the coast of Spain a heavy storm hit the ship, and the body was lost to the ocean. After some time, however, the body washed ashore undamaged, covered in scallops
Papers by J A Gibbs
It is from these papers that Gibb's Abinger Parish Church
, printed in 1938, was abridged. These papers transcribed by Philip Rawlings 2011-13 from a duplicate bound original in the Parish vestry.
J A Gibbs, Churchwarden, died 1949
The whole set of papers at PapersOnAbingerChurchJAGibbs1938.pdf
- 1. Abinger Church: an introduction
- 2. Records up to 1855 as to the fabric and contents of the Church
- 3. Description of the Church in 1855
- 4. Restoration and Changes
- 5. Description of the Church in 1938 with historical details
- 6. The Churchyard
- 7. The Benefice
- 8. Boundaries, ecclesiastical and civil, of Abinger and its neighbouring parishes.
Links to other sites with some information on local history are: